Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Motivating the Cadets at Riverside Military Academy

Today, I had the honor and privilege of speaking to the cadets at Riverside Military Academy in Gainesville, Georgia.  I was invited to speak as a part of their character development series, after a referral from my friend and colleague, Dr. Bill Lampton.  The experience was something I’ll never forget. 


My speech was entitled "It's All About the Attitude."  I shared my story and discussed the importance of a positive attitude and overcoming challenges.  This was the biggest audience I've had the opportunity to speak to, with over 350 cadets (grades 7-12), as well as staff members, faculty and some parents.  Also, Jacob, my parents, and few of my colleagues from Brenau University were in attendance as honorary guests.

And I must add, saying we were treated like honorary guests is an understatement.  From the moment we arrived, everyone was so kind and definitely among the most respectful group of people I've had the pleasure of spending time with.  After my speech, we were invited to stand next to the President, Dr. and Colonel Jim Benson, as the cadets performed an amazing Pass and Review.  I was so impressed by the young men and so honored to stand with my husband beside the Colonel.  


After the cadet's demonstration, we were all hosted for lunch in their beautiful dining hall.  My heart was warmed as person after person approached me and expressed that they enjoyed my presentation.  Having the opportunity to inspire those cadets to take advantage of their own potential was something I am truly grateful for.

President of Riverside Military Academy, Dr. Jim Benson, COL, and myself in the dining hall.


1 comment:

  1. Sharing accounts regarding military life to students from military academies will definitely motivate these students to excel in their chosen career path.

    ReplyDelete