Wednesday, October 19, 2011

6 Weeks To Go...

Things are getting so very exciting! I am nearing 33 weeks along and doing fantastic. I remember thinking at the very beginning of this pregnancy - I'm talking in the first few weeks - that it seemed like an eternity until our baby would be born. Since then, time has flown by and it's so evident that she'll be here before we know it.

We've been seeing my OBGYN twice a week and have had nothing but good news at each check-up. Also, she has picked a date that we'll have the baby (that's if she hasn't decided to join us before then). On November 30th, we'll go to the hospital and either induce or have a c-section, depending on what's best at the time for the baby and I. It's just astonishing that that's only 6 weeks from today.

Recently, we met with the anesthesiologist who will be present during our procedure. It was important to actually talk to him before hand so we could discuss certain complications that can occur related to my spinal cord injury, specifically called autonomic dysreflexia. Mom, Jacob and I all liked him a lot and were glad that he seemed very knowledgeable about my condition. He also did an X-ray to make sure he could do an epidural with the type of spinal fusion and hardware that I have in my back. All looked great.

Jacob and I had a really good time and learned a lot at our birthing class. Plus, it was at the hospital where I'll deliver and we got to see our beautiful rooms, with gorgeous views overlooking the North Georgia mountains. It all felt perfect. And, I must say that I was very proud when my sweet husband was the only Dad out of all there who was brave enough to get up and practice swaddling in front of the group. This little girl has no idea how lucky she is.

As we all expected, my mobility is getting more limited by the day. With determination and some help, though, I'm still maintaining my basic independence. I've started to cut out certain things that are becoming too difficult and have gotten extra creative with other daily living tasks. But these days, I'm finding more and more that even if I am able to do something - like get dressed, get out of the house, climb up into our SUV - I'm so exhausted by the time I'm finished that I have to lay back for a bit. Over the next weeks, I'll pay close attention to my body and my strength and reduce my schedule accordingly. For the time being, I'm hanging in there and being very thankful for those around me, as well as a sympathetic work environment.

Last week I had a little baby shower with some wonderful ladies I know and brought home a beautiful bassinet. I loved watching Jacob put it together. This weekend, we'll enjoy a co-ed baby shower with some family and friends. We can't wait to celebrate the coming arrival of our little girl!

I feel so fortunate that I'm experiencing this journey with the man of my dreams. I'm still in awe at how our love continues to grow each day and how comfortable and content we've felt during this entire process. I also continue to be amazed by the strength and potential of the human body. It's all an amazing miracle that I'm proud to share with you. Thanks for reading and have a happy week!

3 comments:

  1. Kristina, I am so excited for you and happy that you have such a wonderful partner in Jacob. You are right... this little girl is already blessed with amazing parents who love her deeply. Congratulations!! Lots of good thoughts coming to you from the whole Shields family. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations and good luck! I hope everything goes smoothly for you! I don't even know you, but I'm very excited for you :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad things have been & are going so well for you :)

    ReplyDelete