Saturday, March 3, 2012

Kamryn's First Big Outing

People say how fast kids grow, but I guess I never realized just how quickly until I began watching it happen right before my very eyes. I can't believe that our baby girl is already almost 4 months old! I still remember the overwhelming joy and disbelief I felt when I found out I was pregnant. While, in a way, that feels like just yesterday, it also seems completely foreign to imagine a time without Kamryn Marlee. She's the center of our world.

Everyday, Kamryn is becoming more and more engaged and curious. She's expressing her personality and getting so strong. She's gripping everything and standing up so well! And her balance is getting way better, which is helping her get really comfortable riding in my lap. She's also getting heavier by the day! I can tell I'm going to have to work on my core strength to keep up with her. I love that she's going to challenge me to keep building my strength and balance in order to take care of her, which is just going to make me more capable in all areas of my life. We're better people because of her.

On February 17-19, Abilities Expo came to Atlanta! If you are unfamiliar with Abilities Expo, allow me to fill you in. It is an exposition showcasing the leading products, services and technologies available to the disability community. All free, the event includes wonderful workshops and interactive events, such as adaptive sports, wheelchair hip-hop dancing, companion dog demos and so much more. I first attended Abilities Expo in LA in 2005, when I held the title of Ms. Wheelchair California. Since then, Jacob and I have been fortunate to work with several companies, such as Colours Wheelchair and LegaWear, and attend many of the shows throughout the country. Today, I'm proud to be an ambassador for Abilities Expo, doing what I can do spread the word about this fantastic, inspirational event.

There are so many reasons I love Abilities Expo, but near the top of my list is the opportunity to network and socialize with the disability community. It's a close-knit, dynamic group of people and I always leave the shows feeling motivated and energized. After going to many shows, Jacob and I feel like there's a mini reunion in every show we attend. So, needless to say, we were so proud to introduce Kamryn to this important part of our community.

I couldn't have been more proud of our sweet baby girl. She stayed with us at the show all three days and was such a trooper! If you've ever attended an Abilities Expo, you know that it can sometimes be loud, with big lights, interesting sights and many, many people (nearly 2,500 people - not counting kids - were in attendance this year in Atlanta). As you may imagine, we weren't sure how Kamryn would handle it. We're not sticklers for sticking to a schedule, but nonetheless, we weren't sure if she would even be able to nap or if she would simply get over-stimulated. As it turned out, she loved every second of it. Most of the show, she was either riding around in my lap - securely fastened with a swaddle blanket, tied in a knot, or she was riding on Jacob's chest in her little backpack. She took in everything and slept better than ever before.

We were so happy that our first major, extended outing was a real success! We're looking forward to several great trips we have coming up before Kamryn's first birthday. I can only imagine the three of us trying to manage all of our stuff and get where we need to be as we travel, but like always - we'll find a way. And we'll make the best memories.

Find out more about Abilities Expo and when they're coming to a city near you. Click here.

1 comment:

  1. I had only recently heard of it, and missed the one in my area by a few days, maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete